New residential tracts blossom on Roseville's east side

New residential tracts blossom on Roseville's east side
Community Profile
Date Published: November 10, 2006
Model homes are open in the Briarwood at Stone Ridge development in east Roseville. The homes offer three to six bedrooms and range in price from the high $500,000s to $800,000s. - Photo by Janis Dice
Homes edge the city of Roseville's Wetland Preserve Trail, which meanders past marshy bogs between Eastridge Drive and Sierra College Boulevard. - Photo by Janis Dice

Roseville sprouted as a train town, budded as a bedroom community and blossomed into a diverse, multifaceted community that is blooming with new homes on its east side.
Ten years ago, the hills between Rocklin and Granite Bay were nearly bare of development. Today, they hold numerous contemporary neighborhoods that mesh homes, parks, schools, nature preserves and trails with small shopping centers and service hubs.
With easy access to Interstate 80 and the Douglas Boulevard corridor, east Roseville was prime for residential cultivation. Digging its toes into the foothills, the east side's natural swells create many home sites with views of the valley lights or the snow-frosted peaks of the Sierra Nevada.
One of the newest subdivisions east of I-80 is the Stone Ridge master-planned community. Developed by Elliott Homes (www.elliotthomes.com), which is a major player in Folsom's residential arena, Stone Ridge includes the Canyon View and Briarwood neighborhoods.
The homes are large, offering three to six bedrooms in a variety of floor plans and with a myriad of options. The homes at Stone Ridge are priced between the high $500,000s and $800,000s.
Vista Oaks is another fresh tract in the territory. Developed by Parkland Homes (www.parklandhomes.com), this subdivision features floor plans ranging from 2,412 to 3,440 square feet in size, and up to five bedrooms and three baths. Homes here are priced from the $500,000s.
Long before new subdivisions and mini-malls covered Roseville's eastern hills, the city was humming as a train town. At the intersection of two of the region's earliest rail lines, the community was first known simply as Junction.
That was in the mid-1800s, when several large sheep ranches populated the land now known as Roseville. Before California became the Golden State, ranchers in the area were given land grants from the Mexican government to occupy the properties in order to improve them and increase their values.
Ceded by Mexico through the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo in 1848, California officially became the nation's 31st state on Sept. 9, 1850.
The village of farmers and ranchers started to grow into a real community in 1858 when the tracks of the California Central Railroad were laid from Folsom to Lincoln. When the Central Pacific Railroad's east-west leg of the Transcontinental Railroad was built in 1864, the iron rails of the two train lines crossed.
That place where the tracks interlaced took on the name Junction.
While railroad construction crews continued laboring up the western slope of the Sierra Nevada, and farmers and ranchers kept expanding their agricultural operations, gold miners were prospecting along Miners Ravine Creek. But the stream held more salmon and shellfish than gold.
The riches in this precinct were in agriculture and animal husbandry, with massive flocks of sheep as the mainstay. With local and nationwide rail lines close by, the ranchers had a fast, convenient method of transporting their goods to broad markets.
The community leaped forward in 1906 when the Central Pacific Railroad decided to relocate its roundhouse and repair shop from Rocklin to Junction. Many of the workers whose jobs shifted west lifted their homes off their foundations and had them hauled to lots in Junction.
While Rocklin's economy paled at the loss, Junction's turned rosy.
By then, the line was part of the Southern Pacific Railroad system, and freight and passenger service was booming. Between 1906 and 1908, Roseville's population grew from 400 to 2,000 citizens as the enlarged rail yard attracted more businesses and laborers to the Junction city.
By 1923, the city had incorporated as Roseville, with 6,000 residents. The main roads at that time were Atlantic and Pacific streets. Then businesses developed along Main and Vernon streets, making them the city's center of commerce.
When the Folsom Dam was completed in the 1950s, growth began spreading eastward. Shortly after that, the completion of I-80 opened a gateway for commuters, allowing Roseville to mature as a bedroom community.
But by the end of the 20th century, Roseville's outer reaches were embracing new office complexes, financial centers, business parks, shopping strips and entertainment zones. Crops of new homes, apartments and condominiums flowered and flourished on the outskirts of town.
Revitalization efforts spiffed up the historic section of the city and encouraged homeowners in the older neighborhoods to renovate their charming bungalows and quaint cottages. The addition of Del Webb's Sun City Roseville homes and recreational facilities for active seniors brought new life to the city.
Roseville took center stage when the Galleria at Roseville mall opened off Highway 65. Now, new master-planned communities with golf courses, parks and other amenities are nudging Roseville's population past the 100,000 mark, with steady growth expected for the next 10 years.
With the sound of ongoing construction filling the air, Roseville's east side is sure to be a place where new residents will roost in style.